Saturday 19 January 2013


After having done some general research into the tribal links to wild kingdom , i feel i need to start focusing my research into Catwalk nd Editorial references and start to think about different elements that i could take inspiration from to start working on my designs.. i will start by looking at images and collections from the catwalk...

The first collection that really caught my eye was the S/S 2010 collection by Qasimi Homme.










Initially wahat drew me to his collection was the simple but striking use of black, along with the intricate patternings used on the face. 







Homme used Sharpie markers in his collection to embelih the faces of the make models with tribal patternings. I thought the collection had a very primal feeling about it, almost dark and eeirie. The repetitive style of pattern on the forehead gave a strong sesnse of identity and branding which links to the how tribes use markings and tattoos to create a hierarchy and sense of identity. I love how Home kept it simple with his makeup design and only emebllishd the forhead. I thought this colletion has a clear tribal reference and it as made me think about how the use of black and white can be just  effective as the use of colour. I have also considered how using a male model for my catwalk shoot might help to create a very primal and dominant look  which is what i want to achieve with my look.


I also thought the simple use of headbands on the male models was a subtle but strong reference to a tribal style which i noticed Homme also uses in another collection as seen below.







Although the clothing in this collection doesnt have obvious reference to a tribal/ wild kingdom theme, Homme has continuously used a simple back headband which to me gives a very strong tribal feeling. Looking at Hommes collections for catwalk inspiration has been a very good starting point. I love the idea of creating a sense of strength and giving a modern twist on a tribal theme. For me this has a similarity to the 'Tribes' editorial by Jean Luc Francaise. Both have represented elements of  traditional tribal theme into something new and modern, this also links into the idea of transformation.




No comments:

Post a Comment