Sunday 20 January 2013

Colour...





 As i have mentioned before i want my editorial look to be all about vibrance colour and texture. I have looked at different tribal masks, art and face paint as inspiration for colours in  my design....








African Chokwe mask 


Masks of Lombok islands Indonesia



Tribal masks and art tend to use strong earthy colours such as reds , browns and  oranges. I particularly love the contrast of orange and blue seen on the last picture. I would like the colours in my design to contrast in the same way, and i would definitely like to use fiery strong orange and  red tones. 

The images below are from  "The Better Triumph" editorial for Zink magazine.  I love the vivid yellows and orange used around the eyes, very simple but effective. Similarly to the tribal masks i looked at it uses a beautiful combination of Deep blues and oranges. This makeup look screamed tribal to me and really caught my imagination.





                                              


                                               


I particularly like the use of colour on the lips in the image above. It reminded me of the blue lips of the womn in the Fulani tribe of west africa....



                                            
The Fulani girls tattoo their mouths when they hit puberty. Although it is seen as decorative ,  one of the theories behind it is that the tattoo was used to deter slavers looking for  unblemished girls.



                            




                                






Other tribes using vibrant  oranges and yellows...

                                                

                                               

                                                                  Wodabe tribe

                                    





Having been inspired by my research into the use of colour in tribes and tribal art, i have exprimented with colour on the face....

I started by using yellows an oranges round the eyes using eyeshadow (left eye) however i found the colour was not vibrant and bold enough so i used Supracolour on the right eye which really made the colour stand out on the skin.











                        I also experimented with the application of blue supra colour on the lips....


                                                      


This use of fiery colour is definately something i would like to incorporate into my editorial design. I now need to start to pull all my research and ideas together and come up with a few potential design for both my editorial and catwalk look...

No comments:

Post a Comment