Saturday 19 January 2013

Mcqueen



I  have also been captivte by Alexander Mcqueen's fall/winter 2000 collection entitled "Eshu".  The collection has clear tribal references and was inpsired by the Yoruba people of West Africa. Mcqueen used alot of real animal furr, black , leather and over the top jewellery in his design. For me the collection had an overwheleming sene of darkness and primal instinct which clearly relates to the theme 'wild kingdom'. His use of metal kneck pieces , masksnd frr bought the tribal theme into the 21stcentur but there is still n underlying sense of tribal instinct. Again the use of blac and dark colours for me evoked the feeling of a dark primitive tribe and i love the simple makeup in golds and blacks.


These horse hair masks were the mst obvious reference to tribes in collection. For me they represent something very dar and sinister, almost trowing away the idea of identity.





The metal mouth pieces reminded me of tribal body modification. I found them beautiful but at the same time very ugly. i love his ue of a modern material to represent the traditional tribal ritual of body modification. these images have also made me think about the circular form and how i could use this in my final design as it is a continuous shape used in tribal makeup / design. 







I  love the subtlte ans siplicity of the makeup above. The necklace wrapped around the neck are clearly inspired by tribal rings worn by people of the Kayan tribe for example, as pictured below. The large hoop errings for me are a modern representation of body modification and the technique of stretching ears. 










Looking at this collection has inspired me to think about how i will represent different elements of the tribal look, i'd like to use modern materials , perhaps wire or metal and incorporate hair design into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment